Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ginger Beer, Part 1


I've done homemade ginger beverages before. Ginger syrup mixed with seltzer, mostly. The occasional ginger-citrus drink And okay, yes, some delicious ginger vodka as well. True ginger beer, however, always intimidated me. It involves fermentation. That, to me, implies a lot of time, a high level of difficulty, and the possibility of explosions.

But when I saw this recipe in the New York Times Magazine, I knew I had to try it. Toby Cecchini had all my same qualms, and he told me it would be okay. It would be easy. One day, maybe two, tops. Just a little yeast, the same stuff I use to bake bread.

Yes, it might explode. But probably not.

Last night, I made ginger beer. I adjusted Cecchini's recipe slightly to align with the ingredients I had on hand -- the juice from one lemon, and no cream of tartar.

I twisted the cap on tight, wrapped the plastic bottle in a plastic bag, and put it in a bucket in the pantry, in case of explosion.

This morning I checked the bottle. It was tight, so I opened the cap to release some of the trapped CO2. A gorgeous and powerful ginger aroma wafted out as well.

Given the warm weather, my ginger beer should be done fermenting tonight. Then I can chill (to stop fermentation) and drink.

I'm excited. Bring over some rum, and we can have a dark 'n' stormy.

1 comment:

  1. I am ready to come over. You just tell me when. There is nothing I love more than Ginger Beer! Truly! Love, Sylvie

    ReplyDelete