Monday, March 17, 2014

Irish Oatmeal with Peanut Butter and Nutella, or how I celebrate St. Patrick's Day

The first thing you should know is that I really kind of hate St. Patrick's Day. In this I am joined by all right thinking people.

The second thing you should know is that I have never, to my knowledge, consumed corned beef. I'm not even sure what it is. I will probably find out one day, and then I'll blog about it. Until then, I'm okay with gustatorily celebrating St. Patrick's with oatmeal. 


Irish steel cut oatmeal is the oatmeal that all other oatmeals aspire to be. That said, it takes either forethought (making it the night or the week before and refrigerating it til needed) or 45 minutes in the morning to have it for breakfast. Lately, I have had neither of these. What I do have is the next best thing to Irish steel cut oatmeal: quick cooking rolled oat Irish oatmeal, "ready in 3 minutes." 

The texture isn't quite as amazing as the steel cut version, but McCann's is still the brand of oatmeal that I trust, and their quick cooking version is damned good. And I can make it fresh in the morning in even less than 3 minutes. 


I've been eating it even more often than usual this winter not just because it's been a terrible, cold, snowy winter, and that's exactly the weather when I want oatmeal, but because I discovered the most delicious possible oatmeal topping, and I want to eat it every day. 

Peanut butter and nutella, bitches. Plus a drizzle of whole milk. Yeah. Now that's the way to start the day. I challenge you to eat that in the morning and remain grumpy. You can't do it. That bowl of goodness is simply too delicious. 

Irish Oatmeal with Peanut Butter and Nutella

for 1 serving:
1/3 c McCann's Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal
1/3 c water (you can use milk, but I think the toppings make it rich enough)
1 T peanut butter
1 T Nutella
2 T whole milk
  1. Combine oatmeal and water in a bowl. Stir and microwave for 1 min 45 sec (if your microwave is exactly like mine). 
  2. Use a butter knife to scoop out some peanut butter and drop it in small clumps over the oatmeal. Do the same with the peanut butter. Obviously, the 1 T each amounts are approximate
  3. As is the milk, which you should lightly drizzle over the whole affair.
Best winter breakfast ever. If not terribly photogenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment