Thursday, November 11, 2010

Battle of the Pumpkins


One day when I was in high school a friend came over while my mom was making a pumpkin pie. She watched curiously as mom seeded, peeled, chopped and finally steamed the pumpkin before mixing it up into pie filling.

“My mom always uses canned pumpkin,” she said.

Then my mom got out the jiffy pie crust mix.

“You do the pumpkin from scratch but the crust from a box? That’s so weird. We always do the crust from scratch.”

Well, my friend was right – it was weird – although as with so many other family habits it took an outsider to point out the strangeness of my tribe’s cultural practices.

I make my pie crust from scratch – and with all butter. Yum. I also make my pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cheesecake, kaddo bowrani (Afghan pumpkin), and every other pumpkin dish from real pumpkin.

I’ve tasted pumpkin pie from the store. It doesn’t taste right.

But this also means that we don’t have pumpkin-based deliciousness all that often. Let’s face it – it takes time and work to get from a lovely whole pumpkin to the pumpkin mush that’s only one ingredient in a recipe. It would be so much easier to open a can.

I did some reading. I trust Cook’s Illustrated, so I went there first. They claim that canned pumpkin is just fine, and recommended some brands (Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin and One-Pie Pumpkin tied for first). I looked on Chowhound.com, another favorite source for foodie musings. Chowhounds seem to go for canned pumpkin as well.

Finally, I ran a test. I looked for the Libby’s canned pumpkin at my local Whole Foods, but came up empty handed, so I bought the 365 Everyday Value store brand. I also bought a sugar pumpkin.

A pumpkin pie would have been the best test. But I was in the mood for pumpkin cake – plus I had plans to eventually make the sage ice cream recommended as an accompaniment (more on that later). I went through the skinning, the seeding, the chopping, and the steaming required to make pumpkin mush from a pumpkin. Then I got out a can opener and in under 30 seconds I had a second quantity of pumpkin mush. I started to hope that the canned pumpkin would win – or even tie. A tie would be just fine.

The canned pumpkin was darker orange and certainly more dense. The steamed pumpkin was clearly a bit watery by comparison. Unadulterated, they both tasted like pumpkin – different from one another, but neither obviously superior.

I mixed up two half-batches of pumpkin cake (dirtying many bowls in the process), and made a divider for my 13” x 9” pan using aluminum foil. Then I marked the from-canned batter with a “C” and the from-fresh batter with a “P” – of sprinkled pumpkin seeds.

Baked, the “C” cake was slightly darker and denser than the “P” cake.

For taste – drum roll, please – IT WAS A TIE.

Different, yes, but neither better than the other. I don’t think I can say I’m 100% won over to canned yet – I think a pie contest is in order first. But I’m definitely leaning…

2 comments:

  1. Thank God!! I was really hoping you'd say that. I've been feeling so guilty about needing to do this from scratch -- i'm so glad the canned is just as good. (Even nearly would really be fine.)

    Love the blog!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine, Thanks for doing the comparison. I felt slightly ashamed for using canned pumpkin, and now thanks to you I will be ashamed no more.

    Cook's Illustrated suggests heating the canned pumpkin on the stove. That really does seem to take away some of the "canned" taste.

    Last week I had a smallish pumpkin (half of the typical jack-0-lantern size). Based on directions from the Joy of Cooking, I stabbed it a few times with a paring knife, then put the whole thing in the oven on a pan and baked it til done. No peeling, no seeding, or chopping required. When I took the soft pumpkin out of the oven, I used a spoon to scoop out the seeds, then just spooned the flesh from the skin of the pumpkin. Easy-peasy. So if you have a small pumpkin and/or a large oven, consider roasting the pumpkin whole instead of steaming.

    Thanks again for your lovely, accessible and informative blog.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete